"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Curvy Crochet

Marly Bird herself showing off the Amimono Kimono,
one of the patterns shown in the Curvy Crochet course

Marly Bird and I follow each other on twitter. We don't know each other well, but we chat back and forth every so often. So imagine my surprise when she asked me to review her new Craftsy course. I have to say I was very impressed. It's a well-planned, well-executed tutorial that takes you through the basics (and not so basics) of adapting crocheted sweater patterns to fit YOUR figure.

The worksheets included are extensive but not overwhelming. The course itself is the next best thing to sitting in your local yarn shop with Marly as your teacher. And what better teacher could you possibly have? Marly is friendly, upbeat, and easy to understand. She presents each class in plain English and takes time to give the advanced beginner instruction they need without boring the most advanced of crocheters. She even uses two of her own patterns as examples and shows you how to adapt them so they flatter YOUR figure, not some model.

The BEST part of this course is that Marly shows you what I consider to be one the greatest ideas for anyone working with ANY type of fabric: the Duct Tape Dress Form. (cue the angelic music) It's absolutely brilliant. Her $50 idea will save me huge money and countless hours of frogging and restitching.

Even if you're not a curvy girl, this course is great. Although Marly's aim is to help the BBW adapt any pattern to fit, these principles could easily be applied to smaller sizes.

I loved Curvy Crochet and I think my fellow crochet divas will too.

So you want to purchase the Curvy Crochet online course? At a discount? CLICK THIS LINK and get Curvy Crochet for $29.99 instead of the regular $49.99!

Stay tuned, ladies, because Marly also asked me to review Curvy Knits. (Squeeeeeee!)

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen Marly's book—Curvy Crochet from Leisure Arts? Love it! http://www.leisurearts.com/curvy-crochet.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have. It's pretty awesome.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome. I've not ventured much into clothing for myself because I don't know how to make the sizes fit me. Sounds like she has some great answers. I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by, Joanna!

    If you knit, my review of Curvy Knits will be posted next Sunday (Oct. 23). THAT will be my inspiration for finally knitting that sweater I fell in love with six months ago.

    ReplyDelete